Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Twist on Apple Pie

I was going through photos from last year's Photo-A-Day project I participated in, and I found one from Thanksgiving where I tried a new recipe I found on Testado, Provado, & Aprovado's site dubbed "APPLE PIE (in the apple)". It first caught my eye because of how pretty the presentation looked and how eater friendly it was. I know from previous experience, when it comes to big holiday gatherings with my family, nobody wants to wait while the drawers are scavenged for more serving spoons and knives. What's easier than having single-serving apple pie?
Testado, Provado, & Aprovado's Apple Pie in the Apple
I had originally intended on writing up a post for this little creation, imagining the cutest little pies ever conceived, but I immediately stopped snapping pictures and fell into dismay when I opened the oven minutes before the dinner bell sounded at my mom's Thanksgiving celebration and saw my creations had...exploded. I'm not sure what other word would better encapsulate the casualties lying helpless on the baking pan, but in a panic I tossed the camera aside and went into overtime scooping my mini-pies as best as I could into a container and went on to dinner, discouraged and disappointed.
Apple Pies Pre-Destruction
They actually tasted really good, and the one surviving apple that only suffered minimal cracks in its skin was saved for me to taste. The crust was pretty exceptional and the apple was soft and seasoned well. Looking back on it now--I have finally processed the pain I felt that afternoon--I have a couple of guesses as to why my go at this recipe ended in catastrophe.

First, I didn't have a straw to poke the holes in the top of the crust with as the recipe called for. Instead, I used a chopstick, and admittedly while I was performing the task I realized they were a bit small and predicted they would probably close up. I never factored the problem of pressure build-up in the apples being a factor though, for some reason. Also, I should have simply baked them for a smaller amount of time. I have no clue why I never checked them in the process; I think I was working on whipping up something else for the dinner, but if I had, I probably would have seen the first signs of cracks and been able to save them.

Regardless, I've learned some lessons, and seeing the pictures of the apples still cute and free of explosive havoc, I've got a hankering to try the recipe out again. Hopefully the troubleshooting is a success and my minis will remain intact and be the cutest little desserts I've ever seen.

If not, well then I promise, if they explode again, I'll wipe the tears away and take some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment